Assistant Teaching Professor
Mailing Address: Department of Counseling, Box 7406, WFU, Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty member at Wake Forest University since 2014
- PhD in Counseling, University of North Texas, 2008
- MS in Counseling Psychology, Tarleton State University, 2003
- BA in Speech Communication, Baylor University, 1999
Research and Special Interests:
- Relationships, infidelity recovery, trauma-informed practices, advance clinical practices, attachment trauma.
- Licensed Professional Counselor, North Carolina
Professional Experience (selected):
- Private practice, Winston-Salem, NC 2014-present
- Clinical Specialist, Give an Hour, 2013-2014
- Private practice, Colleyville, TX 2010-2013
- Additional clinical work through contract positions, volunteer work, and internships at community agencies, grief organization, residential addiction treatment center, elementary and high school, therapy ranch (equine assisted psychotherapy), juvenile detention center, and MCAS Yuma (military base).
Professional Service (selected):
- Founder/President, Triad Mental Health Professionals, 2014- present
- Co-Faculty Advisor, Rho Kappa chapter CSI, 2018- present
- Member, Undergraduate Minor Committee, Dept. of Counseling, WFU
- Member, Clinical Committee, Dept. of Counseling, WFU
- Member, Teaching Development and Evaluation Committee, Dept. of Counseling, WFU
- Administrator, Triad Mental Health Therapists Facebook Group
- Member, Task Force, Military Cultural Competencies, Military and Government Counselors Association, 2017-2018
Recent Presentations (selected):
Forti, A, Cashwell, T., Carter, C. (2018, October). Wait, I’m not perfect?: Applying self-compassion training to improve student outcomes. Poster session for the Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Myrtle Beach, SC.
Davis, B., Briggs, C., Carter, C. (May, 2018). In their own words: Veterans’ storytelling, theater, and healing. Session presented for Aging Reimagined Conference. Winston-Salem, NC.
Carter, C. (2018, January; 2017, September; 2016, January, August). Military culture and trauma-informed practices. Sessions presented for Wake Forest University Law School Veterans Clinic course. Winston-Salem, NC.
Carter, C. (2017, November). When hearts break. Using theory and technique to transform grief. Workshop presented for Northwest AHEC. Winston-Salem, NC.
Carter, C. (2017, April). Impact of beginnings: Attachment theory across clinical concerns. Session presented for Spring Seminar, Department of Counseling, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC.
Carter, C. & Adams, C. (2016, October). Beginnings count: Infusion of attachment theory throughout counseling curriculum. Session presented at the Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, New Orleans, LA.
Carter, C., Grybush, A., Salmons, C. (2016, February). Struggle in the room: How difficult clients transform counselors. Session presented at the North Carolina Counseling Association Conference, Greensboro, NC.
Carter, C., Campbell, E. (2016, February). The role of attachment: Intimacy and sexuality in romantic relationships. Session presented at the North Carolina Counseling Association Conference, Greensboro, NC.
Carter, C., & Pozniak, K. (2015, February). When we invite animals to therapy: Ethical considerations in animal-assisted therapy. Session presented at the North Carolina Counseling Association Conference, Greensboro, NC.
Carter, C., Willard, A., & Williams, J. (2015, February). Counseling military families: Serving all who serve. Session presented at the North Carolina Counseling Association Conference, Greensboro, NC.
Nations, J. R., & Warden, S. P. (producers). (2018, October 16). Self-care in the counseling field with Dr. Cheyenne Carter and Dr. Rob Casares. Wake Forest University Counseling M.A. Program Podcast.
Johnson, J. (producer). (2018, October 5). Discussing your financial goals with Dr. Cheyenne Carter. Triad Podcast Network.
Johnson, J. (producer). (2018, July 23). Financial counseling with Dr. Cheyenne Carter. Triad Podcast Network.
Quarto, C. (producer). (2016, December 1). Equine assisted psychotherapy with Dr. Cheyenne Carter. Make a Mental Note Podcast.
Recent Publications (selected):
Prosek, E. A., Burgin, E. E., Atkins, K. A., Wehrman, J. D., Fenell, D. L., Carter, C., & Green, L. (2018). Competencies for counseling military populations. Journal of Military and Government Counseling, 6(2), 87-99.
Pease-Carter, C., & Barrio Minton, C.A. (2012). Counseling program informed consent practices: A survey of student preferences. Counselor Education and Supervision, 51(4), 308-319.
- Faculty of the Month, Delta Zeta, Wake Forest University, October 2018
- Outstanding Service to the Chapter, Chi Sigma Iota, 2008
- Leadership in Counselor Education Fellowship, Chi Sigma Iota, 2007
- Phi Beta Kappa, 2008
Advanced Clinical Trainings:
Eye Movement and Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) – 40 hours, 2017
Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) – 40 hours, 2016
I enjoy creating delicious concoctions in the kitchen, going on long walks, drinking decaf iced caramel macchiatos, reading in my hammock, and listening to the wind in my trees. My favorite place in the world is anywhere with my black lab Tank, a retired therapy dog, who decided early into his career he would rather play fetch, chew on sticks, and lounge on a couch than be therapeutic. Negotiations continue for him to return to work. I share my life with a partner who prefers tools and sawdust to textbooks and existential conversations and his two kiddos who have taught me more about life and love than 3 college degrees. My family is rounded out by spunky Red, the golden retriever, and two cats, Maven and Lexi, who are obsessed with the dogs and shed way too much.
- Dr. Erin Binkley
- Dr. Cheyenne Carter
- Dr. Robert Casares
- Dr. Tammy Cashwell
- Dr. Philip Clarke
- Dr. Jamie E. Crockett
- Dr. Nikki Elston
- Dr. Carla Emerson
- Dr. Isabel C. Farrell
- Dr. Allison Forti
- Dr. Michelle Ghoston
- Dr. Sam Gladding
- Dr. Seth Hayden
- Dr. Donna Henderson
- Dr. Nathaniel Ivers
- Dr. David Johnson
- Pamela Karr
- Dr. Bob Nations
- Dr. Michelle D. Mitchell
- Dr. Debbie Newsome
- Mary Katherine Newsome
- Dr. Jennifer Rogers
- Louise Schatz
- Dr. Mark Scholl
- Dr. Jose Villalba
- Dr. Shannon Warden