Associate Dean for Students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Newsome on student-teacher interaction. (MP3 download)
Department of Counseling, Box 7406, WFU, Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Faculty member at Wake Forest University since August 1999
- B.A., Oklahoma Baptist University
- M.A.Ed., Wake Forest University
- Ph.D., The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Research and Special Interests:
- Career development, wellness models of counseling, empathy, assessment in counseling, counseling skill development, statistics
- Outstanding Research Award, Chi Sigma Iota; Graduate Student Association Faculty
- Excellence Award (twice); Counselor Educator Advocacy Award
Professional Service (selected):
- Association for Assessment in Counseling and Education Executive Board; Institutional
- Review Board; Chair of Master’s Task Force for Graduate Programs (Reynolda campus and WFUBMC campus)
- 10 years of adjunct and pro-bono work at The Trinity Center
Professional Licensure and Memberships (selected):
- North Carolina Licensed Professional Counselor, National Certified Counselor, Licensed
- North Carolina School Counselor, American Counseling Association, National Career
- Development Association, Association for Counselor Educators and Supervisors
Recent publications (selected):
- Newsome, D.W. & Gladding, S.T. (2014) Clinical Mental Health Counseling in Community and Agency Settings (4th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education Inc.
- Gladding, S. T., & Newsome, D. W. (2010) Clinical mental health counseling in community and agency settings (3rd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Newsome, D. W., & Harper. E. S. (2011). Counseling individuals and groups in schools. In B. T. Erford (Ed.), Transforming the school counseling profession (3rd ed., pp. 178-201). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Ivers, N., & Newsome, D. W. Forming and orienting. (2011). Group work: Processes and applications. Columbus, OH: Pearson Merrill/Prentice Hall.
- Ivers, N., & Newsome, D. W. Forming and orienting. In B. T. Erford (Ed.), (2010). Group counseling in the schools (pp. 92-108).Columbus, OH: Pearson Merrill/Prentice Hall.
- Erford, B. T., Keene, M., & Newsome, D. W. (2010). Using games and energizing activities in groups. In In B. T. Erford (Ed.), (2010). Group counseling in the schools. Columbus, OH: Pearson Merrill/Prentice Hall.
- Wachter Morris, C. A., Shoffner, M. F., & Newsome, D. W. (2009). Career counseling for women preparing to leave abusive relationships: A Social Cognitive Career Theory approach. Career Development Quarterly, 58, 44-53.
- Gladding, S. T., Newsome, D. W., Binkley, E., and Henderson, D. H. (2008). The lyrics of hurting and healing: Finding words that are revealing. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, 212-219.
- Milner, J. O., Milner, J., Buchanan, C. M., Newsome, D. W., & Williams, M. (2009). Accountability that counts. The Clearing House, 79.
Recent presentations (selected):
- Rambo, T. D, Newsome, D. W., & Greason, P. B. (2009, October). Teaching Research Methods and Statistics: Suggested Pedagogical Strategies. Program presented at the national conference of the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, San Diego, CA.
- Henderson, D. A., Gladding, S. T., & Newsome, D. W. (2009, October). An admissions trilogy. Program presentated at the national conference of the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, San Diego, CA.
- Gladding, S. T., Newsome, D. W., Binkley, E., & Henderson, D. A. (2008, March). The lyrics of hurting and healing: Finding words that are revealing. Program presented at the Program presented at the national conference of the American Counseling Association, Honolulu, HI.
- Hodges, E., Welch, M., Veach, L., & Newsome, D. (2008, March). Motivational interviewing: Successful alcohol screening and brief interventions at a level I trauma center. Program presented at the national conference of the American Counseling Association, Honolulu, HI.
- Enjoys swimming, running, working out, cats, reading, music, spending time with friends and family
- Dr. Erin Binkley
- Dr. Robert Casares
- Dr. Tammy Cashwell
- Dr. Philip Clarke
- Dr. Jamie E. Crockett
- Dr. Nikki Elston
- Dr. Carla Emerson
- Dr. Isabel C. Farrell
- Dr. Allison Forti
- Dr. Michelle Ghoston
- Dr. Sam Gladding
- Dr. Jeremy Goshorn
- Dr. Amy L. Grybush
- Dr. Seth Hayden
- Dr. Nathaniel Ivers
- Dr. David Johnson
- Dr. Bob Nations
- Dr. Michelle D. Mitchell
- Dr. Debbie Newsome
- Dr. Jennifer Rogers
- Louise Schatz
- Dr. Mark Scholl
- Dr. Jose Villalba