Department Chair, Program Director, and Professor
Department of Counseling, Box 7406, WFU, Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Faculty member at Wake Forest University since August 1996
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Tennessee at Knoxville
- Masters of Arts in Teaching, James Madison University
- Bachelor of Arts, Meredith College
- Associate of Arts, Peace College
Research and Special Interests:
- Counseling children, school counseling, counselor training, international issues in counseling and mental health facilitation project.
- Outstanding Alumnus Award – University of Tennessee, 2008
- Professional Development Award – ACA, 2008
- Counselor Education Advocacy Award – ACA, 2008
- Fellow – ACA, 2010
Professional Service (selected):
- President, President-elect, Past president, (2007-2010), Chi Sigma Iota
- Member Governing Council, (2001-2004), American Counseling Association
- President-elect, President, Past-president, (2003-2005) Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- President-elect, President, Past president, (2000-2003), North Carolina Counseling Association
- Teacher & Counselor – Page County Public Schools,
My teaching assignments were ninth, tenth, and twelfth grade English classes. I worked half time in the guidance office and taught half time. Also I was faculty advisor for the yearbook and the newspaper and worked on a curriculum development committee. I also worked closely with the career development specialist during the school year and worked as a counselor in a summer program for disadvantaged youth.
Professional Licensure and Memberships (selected):
- Human Services: Board Certified Practitioner
- Nationally Certified Counselor
- School Counselor, State of North Carolina
- Licensed Professional Counselor North Carolina
- Approved Clinical Supervisor
- American Counseling Association
- North Carolina Counseling Association
- Southern Association for Counselor Education Supervision
Recent publications (selected):
- Henderson, Donna A., & Charles L. Thompson. (Counseling). Counseling Children, 9th ed. Brooks Cole. August 2015, reported April 2016.
- Henderson, D.A. (2012). The creative arts in counseling. In M.B. Scholl, A.S. McGowan, & J.t. Hansen (Eds.) Humanistic Perspectives on Contemporary Counseling Issues (pp. 63-84). New York: Routledge.
- Schweiger, W., Henderson, D.A.,McCaskill, K., Clawson, T. & Collins, D.R. (2012).Counselor Preparation, (13th Ed.). Washington, DC: Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- Henderson, D.A., & Thompson, C. L. (2011). Counseling Children, (8th Ed.). Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole.
- Henderson, D.A. (2008). Mental health facilitator. Greensboro, NC: National Board for Certified Counselors-International.
- Cobia, D. & Henderson, D. A. (2007). Developing an effective and accountable school counseling program (2nd Ed). Columbus, OH:Prentice-Hall.
- Henderson, D.A. (2007). School counseling. In R. Cottone & V.M. Tarvydas (Eds.) Ethical and Professional Issues in Counseling, (3rd Ed.) (pp. 241-267). Columbus, OH: Prentice Hall.
Recent presentations (selected):
- Henderson, D.A. (with others). (October 2011). MHF. Nashville, TN: ACES Conference.
- Henderson, D.A. (with Scott Hinkle). (August 2010). Mental health facilitation training. Kuala Lampur, Malaysia: Professionals in Malaysia.
- Henderson, D.A. (with others). (March 2010). Career connection. Pittsburgh, PA: ACA Conference.
- Henderson, D.A. (October 2009). Mental health facilitation training. Thimphu, Bhutan: NBCC-I.
- Henderson, D.A. (April 2009). Excellence: The Power of Living Well. Atlanta, GA: Georgia State University CSI Initiation.
- Henderson, D.A. (March 2009). Excellence: The Power of Living Well. College Park, MD: University of Maryland CSI Initiation.
- Henderson, D.A. (April 2008). What do we know about safe schools. Invited presenter for International Congress of Counseling. Istanbul, Turkey.
- Henderson, D.A. (with Sam Gladding). (March 2008). Keeping the boundaries from bending or breaking in counselor education. Honolulu, Hawaii: American Counseling Association.
- Henderson, D.A. (October 16, 2008). International Counseling Initiatives. Durham, NC: Licensed Professional Counselors of North Carolina Conference.
- Henderson, D.A. (with Laura Veach and Debbie Newsome), (October 24, 2008). Lessons Learned. Houston, TX: Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision.
- My special interests are reading, gardening, caring for my dogs, and enjoying my family.