Assistant Professor/School Counseling Program Coordinator
Mailing Address: c/o Wake Forest University, PO Box 7406, Winston Salem, NC 27109
Office Phone: 336-758-8623
Faculty Member at Wake Forest University since 2014
- PhD Counselor Education and Counseling, Idaho State University
- MA Counseling, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC
- BA Communications Studies, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
- Counselor student development and skills preparation, creativity in counseling, gender issues in counseling, career counseling.
- Chi Sigma Iota Theta Chapter Outstanding Research Award–2014
- Oakland University Teaching and Learning Committee Teaching Excellence Award Nominee–2012
- Dean’s Travel Grant–2011
- Interview in “Counseling Today” magazine–2011
- Idaho State University Office of Research Travel Grant Recipient–2008 and 2009
Professional Service (selected):
- Oakland University, University Senate, School of Education and Human Services representative, 2013-2014
- Oakland University School Counseling Specialization Coordinator–2011-2014
- Chi Sigma Iota International Counseling Honor Society–Theta Chapter Advisor, 2010-2013
- Michigan Counseling Association Journal Manuscript Reviewer, 2013-2014
- Michigan Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, Secretary, 2012-2013
- I have spent time working both in schools and agency settings. In schools, I worked primarily with at-risk adolescents. My agency work has focused on treating families and individuals of all ages who have been victims of domestic violence.
Professional Licensure and Memberships:
- Licensed Professional Counselor in Michigan
- National Certified Counselor
- Licensed School Counselor, Michigan and North Carolina
- American Counseling Association
- American School Counseling Association
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- Chi Sigma Iota International Counseling Honor Society
- Michigan Counseling Association
- Michigan Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
Recent Publications (Selected):
- Binkley, E. E. (2013). Creative strategies for treating victims of domestic violence. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, 8(3), 305-313. doi: 10.1080/15401383.2013.821932
- McCaughan, A., Binkley, E., Wilde, B., Parmanand, S., & Allen, V. (2013). Observing the development of constructivist pedagogy in one counselor education doctoral cohort: A single case design. The Practitioner Scholar: Journal of Counseling and Professional Psychology, 2(1).
- Binkley, E. E., Wilde, B. J., Parmanand, S. P, McCaughan, A. M., & Kleist, D. M. (2012). Developing Counseling Skill Using the Landro Play Analyzer (LPA): A Grounded Theory.The Practitioner Scholar: Journal of Counseling and Professional Psychology, 1(1).
- Binkley, E. E., & Parmanand, S. P. (2010). Members’ experience of using music in a small group setting: A phenomenological study. Retrieved from http://counselingoutfitters.com/vistas/vistas10/Article_57.pdf
- Gladding, S. T., Newsome, D., Binkley, E., & Henderson, D.A. (2008). The lyrics of hurting and healing: Finding words that are revealing. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, 3(3), 212-219
Recent Presentations (Selected):
- Rogers, J.L., Binkley, E.E., Warden, S. P., Cashwell, T. H., Emerson, C. H., & Forti, A. (2016, February). Rethinking clinical supervision: A fresh look at common challenges. All-day pre-conference training at the North Carolina Counseling Association’s annual conference. Greensboro, NC.
- Binkley, E.E., Clarke, P., & Andrews, S. (October 2014) From the Stage to the Classroom–Incorporating Actors into Counselor Training. Southern Association of Counselor Education and Supervision Conference. Birmingham, AL.
- Binkley E. E. & Leibert, T. W. (2013, October). Suicide Response Preparation and Anxiety in Beginning Master’s Level Counseling Practicum Students. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Denver, CO.
- Chaney, M. P., Crockett, S. A., Binkley, E. E., Bornsheuer, J. N., & Freeman, A. (2013, October). The Influence of Sexism in the Professional and Personal Lives of Women in Counselor Education. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Denver, CO.
- Binkley, E., Wilde, B., Parmanand, S., McCaughan, A., & Kleist, D. (2011, October). Learning Through Landro Based Supervision: A Grounded Theory. (Presentation) Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Nashville, TN.
- Parmanand, S., Wilde, B., Binkley, E., McCaughan, A., & Kleist, D. (2011, March). Learning Through Landro Based Supervision: A Grounded Theory. (Poster) American Counseling Association Annual Conference.New Orleans, LA.
- Binkley, E., Ortiz, D., Scofield, T., Kleist, D., & Bailey, D. (2010, March). The student-counselor educator connection: demystifying the job search. American Counseling Association Annual Conference. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Parmanand, S. and Binkley, E. (2009, October). Members’ perception of using music in a small group setting: A phenomenological study. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference. San Diego, CA.
- Frick, M., Binkley, E., Durham, J., & Kleist, D. (2009, March). The student-counselor educator connection: Clarifying research ideas. American Counseling Association Annual Conference. Charlotte, NC.
- Gladding, S., Newsome, D., Henderson, D., & Binkley, E. (2008, March). The lyrics of hurting and healing: finding words that are revealing. American Counseling Association Annual Conference.Honolulu, HI.
- Rauh, C., Freeburg, N., Hill, N. R., Binkley, E., & McCaughan, A. (2008, March). Chi Sigma Iota presentation: Wellness in Idaho counselors. American Counseling Association Annual Conference. Honolulu, HI.
I am happy to be back in my hometown of Winston-Salem after several years away. For fun, I enjoy music, cooking, traveling, and spending time with friends and family. Most weekends, I can be found hiking or camping with my sweet pup, Roscoe.