Associate Professor/Clinical Mental Health Program Coordinator
Faculty Member at Wake Forest University since 2014
Address: Department of Counseling, Box 7406, Winston Salem NC 27109
Office Phone: 336-758-8624
- PhD Counselor Education, University of Virginia
- MS Counseling, University of Memphis
- BA Psychology, University of Memphis
- BS Education, University of Memphis
Research and Special Interests:
Career and mental health needs of military service members, veterans, and their families; connection between career and mental health issues; integrated models of clinical supervision focusing on positive growth in counselors’ ability to formulate interventions.
- The American Institute of Bisexuality Grant. (August, 2021). *Coleman, P., Hayden, S.C.W. (Co-primary investigator). Bi-Erasure and the impact on health and well-being. Funding to support graduate student research project into the health and well-being of bisexual people. Funded.
- NCDA Past-president Award – National Career Development Association, 2022
- Wake Forest University – ACE (Academic and Community Engaged) Fellow, 2019-21
- NCDA Outstanding Service Through Board Leadership Service Award – National Career Development Association, 2018
- Wake Forest University – Creative Research Activities Development and Enrichment Fellow, 2017-2019
- The Professional Counselor Outstanding Scholar Award – Concept/Theory, 2015
- Outstanding Career Development Quarterly Article of the Year – National Career Development Association, 2014
- Award of Excellence – Military and Government Counseling Association, 2013
- Professional of the Year – Military and Government Counseling Association, 2012
Professional Service (Selected):
- Co-editor, Journal of Military and Government Counseling, 2021–present
- Guest Editor, The Career Development Quarterly – Special issue on addressing immediate and long-time impact of COVID-19 pandemic on career development and career intervention, 2021
- Editorial Board Member, Career Development Quarterly, 2019 – present
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Counseling & Development, 2016 – present
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Military and Government Counseling, 2015 – present
- Past-President, National Career Development Association, 2021 – 2022
- President, National Career Development Association, 2020 – 2021
- President Elect, National Career Development Association, 2019 – 2020
- President, Military and Government Counseling Association, 2013 – 2014
- Volunteer Counselor, Veterans Helping Veterans Heal, 2017 – present
- Program Director, Florida State University Career Center, 2012 – 2014
- Counselor/Coordinator, University of Virginia Personal and Career Development Center, 2008 – 2012
- Counselor/Supervisor, Safe Schools/Healthy Students Initiative, Charlottesville, Virginia 2009 – 2012
Professional Licensures/Certifications (selected):
- Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor (LCMHC), North Carolina
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), Virginia
- National Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor (CCMHC)
- Approved Clinical Supervisor (ACS)
- Certified Career Counselor Educator (CCCE)
Recent Publications (selected):
- Osborn, D.S., Hayden, S.C.W., Marks, L., Hyatt, T., Saunders, D., & Sampson, Jr., J.P. (2022). Career practitioners’ response to career development concerns in the time of COVID-19. The Career Development Quarterly. 70(1), 52-66.
- Hayden, S.C.W., McDowell, J. & Rodriguez J. (2022). Persons within the military. In Lee. F. (Ed). Embracing Diversity: Treatment and Care in Addictions Counseling (pp. 357-372). Cognella.
- Marks, L.R., Hyatt, T. Saunders, D., Hayden, S., Osborn, D., & Sampson, J. (2021). The intersection of career and mental health from the lens of Cognitive Information Processing Theory. Journal of the National Institute of Career Education and Counseling, 47, 38-43.
- Hayden, S.C.W., Osborn, D.S., *Pearce, C., & *Lange, R. (2021). Enhancing agency in career development via cognitive information processing theory. British Journal of Guidance & Counselling, 49(2), 304-315.
- Hayden, S.C.W., & Osborn, D.S. (2020). Impact of worry on career thoughts, career decision state, and cognitive information processing-identified skills. Journal of Employment Counseling, 57(4), 163-177. Top cited article – Journal of Employment Counseling: 2020 – 2021
- Buzzetta, M. E., Lenz, J. G., Hayden, S. C. W., & Osborn, D. S. (2020). Student veterans: Meaning in life, negative career thoughts and depression. The Career Development Quarterly, 68(4), 361-373.
- Hayden, S.C.W., Osborn, D.S. (2020). Teaching career development and counseling using experiential learning theory. Journal of Employment Counseling, 57(1), 2-13.
- Sampson, J.P., Osborn, D.S., Bullock-Yowell, E., Lenz, J.G., Peterson, G.W., Reardon, R.C., Dozier, V.C., Leierer, S.J., Hayden, S.C.W., & Saunders, D.E. (2020). An introduction to cognitive information processing theory, research, and practice (Technical Report No. 62). Florida State University, Center for the Study of Technology in Counseling and Career Development.
Recent Presentations (selected):
- Hayden, S. C. W. (2022, April). Research-informed intervention for co-occurring career and mental concerns. Poster session at the American Counseling Association conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Hayden, S. C. W. (2022, January). Addressing negative career thoughts via Cognitive Information Processing. Content Session at the CERIC – Canada Cannexus22 conference.
- Hayden, S. C. W., Lange, R., & Peace, C. (2021, December). Enhancing career agency via Cognitive Information Processing Theory. Content Session at the International Association for Educational and Vocational Guidance. Riga, Latvia.
- Hayden, S. C. W. (2021, October). The relationship between career development and mental health: Research-informed interventions. Keynote speaker presentation at the Association of Specialists for Career Planning and Development, Moscow, Russia.
- Hayden S. C. W. (2021, October). Integrating career development and mental health across the counseling curriculum. Content session at the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Hayden S. C. W. (2021, April). Integrating career and mental health support via cognitive information processing. Content session at the American Counseling Association conference, Virtual.
- Hayden S. C. W., Numbers, M. K., & Sztalkoper, J. L. (2021, April). Examining transitional support needs of military spouses: Implications for practice. Content session at the American Counseling Association conference, Virtual.
- Hayden, S. C. W. (2020, November). Lighting the way: Professional standards in career services. Keynote speaker presentation at the Clap for Youth @ JC conference, Hong Kong.
I enjoy spending time with family, exploring the great outdoors through camping and hiking, playing as well as watching sports (Go Deacs!), watching movies especially classic cinema (Casablanca is a favorite), and reading fictional and historical novels.
- Dr. Erin Binkley
- Dr. Robert Casares
- Dr. Tammy Cashwell
- Dr. Philip Clarke
- Dr. Jamie E. Crockett
- Dr. Nikki Elston
- Dr. Carla Emerson
- Dr. Isabel C. Farrell
- Dr. Allison Forti
- Dr. Michelle Ghoston
- Dr. Jasmine Graham
- Dr. Amy L. Grybush
- Dr. Seth Hayden
- Dr. Nathaniel Ivers
- Dr. David Johnson
- Dr. Bob Nations
- Dr. Sarah Moore
- Dr. Jennifer Rogers
- Louise Schatz
- Dr. Mark Scholl
- Dr. Kenneth Simington
- Dr. George Stoupas
- Dr. Jose Villalba
- Dr. Brittany E. Wyche