Associate Professor/Clinical Mental Health Program Coordinator
Address: Department of Counseling, Box 7406, Winston Salem NC 27109
Office Phone: 336-758-8624
Faculty Member at Wake Forest University since 2014
- Ph.D. Counselor Education, University of Virginia
- MS Counseling, University of Memphis
- BA Psychology, University of Memphis
- BS Education, University of Memphis
Research and Special Interests
- Career and mental health needs of military service members, veterans, and their families; connection between career and mental health issues; integrated models of clinical supervision focusing on positive growth in counselors’ ability to formulate interventions.
- NCDA Outstanding Service Through Board Leadership Service Award – National Career Development Association, 2018
- The Professional Counselor Outstanding Scholar Award – Concept/Theory, 2015
- Outstanding Career Development Quarterly Article of the Year – National Career Development Association, 2014
- Award of Excellence – Military and Government Counseling Association, 2013
- Professional of the Year – Military and Government Counseling Association, 2012
- Emerging Leader Fellow – Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, 2009
- North Carolina Career Development Association Best Practices Grant (October, 2016). Career development group for veterans who are homeless. Funded.
- Office of Research and Sponsored Program, Wake Forest University, Pilot Research Grant (April, 2015). Examining a Theoretically-based Career Counseling Interventions for Transitioning Military Service Members. Funded
- Aurora Foundation (October, 2011). Grant to create electronic resource for student veterans designed to enhance awareness of campus and community support services. Funded.
Professional Service (Selected)
- President Elect, National Career Development Association, 2019 – present
- Trustee for Educators and Researchers, National Career Development Association, 2017 – 2018
- President, Military and Government Counseling Association, 2013 – 2014
- Career Development Quarterly– Editorial Board Member, 2019 – present
- Journal of Counseling & Development– Editorial Board Member, 2016 – present
- Journal of Military and Government Counseling – Editorial Board Member, 2015 – present
- Volunteer Counselor, Veterans Helping Veterans Heal, 2017 – present
- Program Director, Florida State University Career Center, 2012 – 2014
- Counselor/Coordinator, University of Virginia Personal and Career Development Center, 2008 – 2012
- Counselor/Supervisor, Safe Schools/Healthy Students Initiative, Charlottesville, Virginia 2009 – 2012
Professional Licensure and Memberships (selected)
- Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor (LCMHC), North Carolina
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), Virginia
- National Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor (CCMHC)
- Approved Clinical Supervisor (ACS)
- Certified Career Counselor Educator (CCCE)
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES)
- Military and Government Counseling Association (MGCA)
- National Career Development Association (NCDA)
Recent Publications (selected)
- Hayden, S. C. W., & Briggs, C. A. (2019). Wellness-focused supervision of counselors working with military service members and veterans. Journal of Military and Government Counseling, 7(3), 42-61.
- Hayden, S. C. W. (2018). Supporting veterans experiencing homelessness through a theoretically-based career development group. Journal of Military and Government Counseling, 6(4), 215-225.
- Hayden, S. C. W., Robertson, H. C., & Kennelly, E. (2018). Military culture in counselor education: Assessing educators’ perceptions of inclusion. The Journal of Counselor Preparation and Supervision, 10(1). Retrieved from https://repository.wcsu.edu/jcps/vol10/iss1/10
- Hayden, S. C. W. (2018). Fostering intentionality in career assessment utilization through counseling supervision. Career Planning & Adult Development Journal, 33(4), 90-97.
- Hayden, S. C. W., & Jackson-Cherry, L. (2018). Military and first responders. In Jackson-Cherry, L., & Erford, B. T. (Eds.). Crisis assessment, intervention, and prevention (3rd ed.). (pp. 349-378). New York: Pearson.
- Hayden, S. C. W., Glosoff, H., Lopez-Baez, S., & Green, L. (2017). Addressing needs of military families during deployment: Military service providers’ perception of integrating support services. Journal of Military and Government Counseling, 5(3), 190-212.
- Hayden, S. C. W., & Scholl, M. (2017). Solution-focused approaches to career counseling with a male military veteran. In Busacca, L. A. & Rehfuss, M. C. (Eds.), Postmodern career counseling: A handbook of culture, context, and cases.(pp. 259-271). Alexandria, VA.: American Counseling Association.
- Scholl, M. B., Hayden, S. C. W., & Clarke, P. B. (2017). Promoting optimal student engagement in online counseling courses. The Journal of Humanistic Counseling, 56(3),197-210. doi:10.1002/johc.12053.
- Buzzetta, M., Hayden, S. C. W., & Ledwith, K. (2017). Creating hope: Assisting veterans with job search strategies using cognitive information processing theory. Journal of Employment Counseling.
- Dieringer, D. D., Lenz, J. G., Hayden, S. C. W., & Peterson, G. W. (2017). Examining a measure of negative career thinking and its relationship to depression and hopelessness. Career Development Quarterly. 65 (2), 159-172. doi: 10.1002/cdq.12089.
- Green, L. A., Dawson-Fend, L., Hayden, S., Crews, C., & Painter, A. (2016). From combat to the classroom: Understanding and addressing veteran transition. Journal of Military and Government Counseling, 4(1), 118-133.
- Osborn, D. S., Hayden, S. C. W., Peterson, G. W., & Sampson Jr., J. (2016). The effect of brief staff-assisted career service delivery on drop-in clients. Career Development Quarterly, 64(2), 181-187. doi: 10.1002/cdq.12050.
Recent Presentations (selected)
- Hayden, S. C. W. (November, 2019). Connecting career and mental health services in higher education. Presented at the IX. International Congress on Psychological Counseling and Guidance in Higher Education, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Hayden, S. C. W. (October, 2019). Strategies for supervising and teaching military-affiliated counselors. Presented at the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision conference, Seattle, WA.
- Hayden, S. C. W., & Osborn, D. S. (June, 2019). Integrating emotions and thoughts in career services via cognitive information processing theory. Presented at the National Career Development Association Global Conference, Houston, TX.
- Calhoun, B., & Hayden, S. C. W. (June, 2019). Breaking barriers in career services: Integrating career and mental health assessment and treatment. Content session presented at the National Career Development Association Global Conference, Houston, TX.
- Hayden, S. C. W., Bang, N. M., White, R. K., & Dozier, V. C. (June, 2018). Practitioner’s Guide to using theory in practice. Presented at the National Career Development Association Global Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
- Belle, J., & Hayden, S. C. W. (June, 2018). Integrating theory, research, and practice to assist veterans in career transition. Presented at the National Career Development Association Global Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
- Bullock-Yowell, E., Osborn, D., Hayden, S. C. W., Lenz, J. G., & Sampson, J. P. (June, 2018). Connecting cognitive information processing theory, research, & practice to career transitions. Presented at the Society of Vocational Psychology Conference, Scottsdale, AZ.
- Hayden, S. C. W., Lenz, J. G., Sampson, J. P., & Dozier, V. C. (April, 2018). Cognitive information processing: Bridging the gap between career and mental health. Presented at the American Counseling Association Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Hayden, S. C. W. (October, 2017). Teaching career development and counseling using experiential learning theory. Presented at the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Hayden, S. C. W. (June, 2017). Instilling optimism in those who served: Supporting veterans through a theoretically-based career group. Presented at the National Career Development Association Global Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Hayden, S. C. W., & Calhoun, B. (June, 2017). Collaboration to address career and mental health: Connecting career centers with counselor training programs. Presented at the National Career Development Association Global Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Hayden, S. C. W., Friday, A. R., Morgan, L. M., & Storlie, C. A. (March, 2017). Intersections of career and self-concept. Presented at the American Counseling Association Conference, San Francisco, CA.
I enjoy spending time with family, exploring the great outdoors through camping and hiking, playing as well as watching sports (Go Deacs!), watching movies especially classic cinema (Casablanca is a favorite), and reading fictional and historical novels.
- Dr. Erin Binkley
- Dr. Cheyenne Carter
- Dr. Robert Casares
- Dr. Tammy Cashwell
- Dr. Philip Clarke
- Dr. Jamie E. Crockett
- Dr. Nikki Elston
- Dr. Carla Emerson
- Dr. Isabel C. Farrell
- Dr. Allison Forti
- Dr. Michelle Ghoston
- Dr. Sam Gladding
- Dr. Seth Hayden
- Dr. Donna Henderson
- Dr. Nathaniel Ivers
- Dr. David Johnson
- Pamela Karr
- Dr. Bob Nations
- Dr. Michelle D. Mitchell
- Dr. Debbie Newsome
- Mary Katherine Newsome
- Dr. Jennifer Rogers
- Louise Schatz
- Dr. Mark Scholl
- Dr. Jose Villalba
- Dr. Shannon Warden