Visiting Assistant Professor
Mailing Address: c/o Wake Forest University, PO Box 7406, Winston Salem, NC 27109
Office phone: 336-758-3722
Location: Carswell 220
Faculty Member at Wake Forest University since July 2018
Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision, UNC Charlotte
School Counselor Licensure Eligible, UNC Charlotte
M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, UNC Charlotte
B.A. in Psychology, Appalachian State University
Play Therapy, Parent Training, supervision, poverty, multicultural issues and trauma.
- Devoted Service Award, NC Counseling Association, 2017
- Devoted Service Award, Association of Child and Adolescent Counselors in NC, 2017
- NC Counseling Association Ella Stephens Barret Award for Distinguished Service, 2015
- IAAOC Graduate Student Scholarship, 2009
- ACA Inaugural Robert Rencken Emerging Professional Leader Award, 2007
- NCCA Creativity/Innovation in Counseling Award, February 2007
- Roy Anderson Award, 2007 (most prestigious award given by NCCDA)
- Starnes Award ($1000.00, outstanding staff contributions – Pfeiffer University)
- 9 Who Care Award – WSOC Channel 9
- Governor’s Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service
- New Professional Award for NCCDA
- Chi Sigma Iota Honorary Society
- NCDA Inaugural Leadership Academy
Counseling and Teaching Experience:
- Adjunct Faculty, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC, 2018-2019
- Adjunct Faculty, Capella University, 2018-2019
- Adjunct Faculty, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, Greensboro, NC, 2015-2018
- Adjunct Faculty, UNC Charlotte, Charlotte, NC, 2017
- Outpatient Therapist, Monarch, Albemarle, NC, 2014-2015, 2018-2019
- Clinical Coordinator/Site Supervisor, Center for Behavioral Health and Wellness, NC A & T University, 2017-2018
- Outpatient Therapist, New Directions Psychiatric Services, Albemarle, NC, 2011-2012
- Grief Counselor, Hospice of Cabarrus County, 2006- 2007
- Career Center Director/Career and Personal Counselor, Pfeiffer University, 1997- 2006
- Human Services Clinician, Daymark Recovery Services, 2005- 2007
Certifications and Licenses:
- Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor Supervisor (LCMHC-S) in North Carolina
- Registered Play Therapist Supervisor (RPT-S)
- Graduate Certificate, Play Therapy
- School Counselor Licensure Eligible, 2015
- American Counseling Association
- North Carolina Counseling Association
- Association for Child and Adolescent Counseling – North Carolina
- North Carolina Association for Play Therapy
- North Carolina Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- North Carolina Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development
- Association for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Issues in Counseling
- International Association for Play Therapy
- Chi Sigma Iota National Honorary Society
- Mu Tau Beta Honorary Society at UNCC
Departmental Service (selected):
- Member, Clinical Committee, 2019-Present
- Member, Spring Seminar Committee, 2019-2020
- Offered presentation on play therapy for students, October 2020
- Member, Green Team, 2020-Present
Recent Presentations (selected):
- Moore, S. (2019, February). Multicultural supervision: From both sides of the desk. North Carolina Counseling Association, Durham, NC.
- Moore, S., & Proctor, M. (2019, February). Psychotropic medication use in children and adolescents. North Carolina Counseling Association, Durham, NC.
- Kascsak, T., & Moore, S. (2018, October). The use of CCPT as a trauma-informed approach. Licensed Professional Counselors Association of North Carolina, Raleigh, NC.
- Moore, S. (2018, February). Two session parent training based on child centered play therapy as compared to CPRT. North Carolina Counseling Association, Durham, NC.
- Moore, S. (February 2018). Serving children with disabilities with a focus on spina bifida, dialysis and organ transplant. North Carolina Counseling Association, Durham, NC.
- Moore, S. (April 2017). Introduction to play therapy. Department of Counseling at North Carolina A & T University and Association of Child and Adolescent Counselors of NC, Greensboro, NC.
- Moore, S., Opiola, K., & Post, P. (2017, February). Child parent relationship training (CPRT): A culturally-responsive parenting program for supporting families in crises. North Carolina Counseling Association, Durham, NC.
- Moore, S. (2014). Two-session child parent relationship training with parents of children diagnosed with ADHD. (Doctoral Dissertation). ProQuest.
- Brack, G., Lassiter, P., Hill, M., & Moore, S. (2008). Ecosystemic complexity theory of conflict: Understanding the fog of conflict. The Journal of Humanistic Counseling, Education, and Development, 50(1), 3-15.
- Moore, S. (2008). Utilizing stoic philosophy to improve cognitive behavioral therapy. North Carolina Counseling Association Journal, 1, 30-36.
My husband, Marc, and I have three children—Lilley, Rose and Henry. With a 13-year age gap between our youngest and oldest, we stay busy in a variety of activities and developmental stages. When I have a spare moment, I love to play tennis and read. We recently moved to High Rock Lake in Davidson County, NC, and enjoy spending time swimming, canoeing, and other water activities.
Upon completing my Ph.D., I taught as a post-doc for several years at local public university programs while continuing to work in community mental health and, finally transitioning to full-time teaching at WFU. I have been an LPC since 2003 and have worked in community agencies, Hospice, higher education Career Services and as an independent contractor. I do LPC supervision with several recent grads and love to support new professionals as they continue to grow.
I am passionate about counseling and advocacy and hope to share that passion with you.
- Dr. Erin Binkley
- Dr. Robert Casares
- Dr. Tammy Cashwell
- Dr. Philip Clarke
- Dr. Jamie E. Crockett
- Dr. Nikki Elston
- Dr. Carla Emerson
- Dr. Isabel C. Farrell
- Dr. Allison Forti
- Dr. Michelle Ghoston
- Dr. Sam Gladding
- Dr. Amy L. Grybush
- Dr. Seth Hayden
- Dr. Nathaniel Ivers
- Dr. David Johnson
- Dr. Bob Nations
- Dr. Sarah Moore
- Dr. Jennifer Rogers
- Louise Schatz
- Dr. Mark Scholl
- Dr. Jose Villalba