Assistant Professor/Graduate Program Co-Director
Email Address: email@example.com
Mailing Address: Department of Counseling, Box 7406, WFU, Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Faculty member at Wake Forest University since July 2012
- PhD in Counseling and Counselor Education, Syracuse University, 2013
- Certificate of Advanced Study in Conflict Resolution, Maxwell School of Syracuse University, 2011
- MA in Counseling, Wake Forest University, 2008
- BFA in Acting and BA in English, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2001
Research and Special Interests:
Substance abuse assessment and brief counseling interventions, clinical supervision, and relational approaches to counseling and counselor preparation across ecologically diverse practice contexts. Dr. Rogers’ current primary research project examines how attachment and cognitive patterns among beginning counselors influence their experiences related to receiving corrective feedback during clinical supervision. She also writes about systemically-informed case conceptualization and facilitates a women’s counseling group at a local nonprofit inpatient substance abuse treatment center.
Refereed Journal Articles (recent):
- Rogers, J.L., Crockett, J.E., & Suess, E. (2019). Miscarriage: An ecological examination. The Professional Counselor, 9(1), 51-66.
- Rogers, J.L., Luke, M., Gilbride, D.D., & Goodrich, K.M. (2019). Supervisee attachment, cognitive distortions, and difficulty with corrective feedback. Counselor education and supervision, 58(1), 18-32.
- Rogers, J.L., Bernard, J.M., Veach, L.J., Moro, R.R., Ivers, N.N., Reboussin, B., Miller, P.M., & O’Brien, M.C. (2018). Brief counseling for alcohol misuse among trauma patients: Two interventions and influence of baseline use. Journal of Addictions and Offender Counseling, 39(2), 89-105.
- Rogers, J.L., Gilbride, D.D., & Dew, B.J. (2018). Utilizing an ecological framework to enhance counselors’ understanding of the U.S. opioid epidemic. The Professional Counselor, 8(3), 226-239.
- **2018 Outstanding Scholar Award, Concept/Theory
- Veach, L.J., Moro, R.R., Miller, P.M., Reboussin, B., Ivers, N.N., Rogers, J.L., & O’Brien, M.C. (2018). Alcohol counseling in hospital trauma: Examining two brief interventions. Journal of Counseling & Development, 96(3), 243-253.
- Binkley, E.E., Rogers, J.L., & Wilde, B.J. (2018). Advocacy for the counseling profession: Interviews with leader-advocates. Romanian Journal of Counseling, 4(1), 3-17.
- Rogers, J.L. & Gilbride, D.D. Experiences in Supervision: Affective Responses to Corrective Supervisory Feedback. ACES Research Grant Program, 2018-2019.
- Rogers, J.L., Gilbride, D.G., Luke, M.M., & Goodrich, K.M. Attachment Style, Cognitive Distortions, and Supervision of Counseling Students. Wake Forest University Pilot Research Grant Program, Spring 2017.
- Luke, M.M., Rogers, J.L., Goodrich, K.M., & Gilbride, D.G. Cognitive Distortions, Attachment Style, & Supervision of Counseling Students. Syracuse University School of Education, 2016-2017.
Book Chapters (recent):
- Shilling, E.H., Veach, L. J., Rogers, J.L., & Moro, R.R. (2019). Substance addictions. In D. Capuzzi & M.D. Stauffer (Eds.) Foundations of Addictions Counseling, 4th ed. Boston: Allyn and Baon/Pearson.
- Moro, R.R., Veach, L. J., Rogers, J.L., & Shilling, E.H. (2019). Process addictions. In D. Capuzzi & M.D. Stauffer (Eds.) Foundations of Addictions Counseling, 4th ed. Boston: Allyn and Bacon/Pearson.
Professional Presentations (selected):
- Rogers, J.L., Gilbride, D.G., & Dew, B.J. (October 11-13, 2018). Thinking Ecologically: Teaching Students Ecological Case Conceptualization and Treatment Planning. Southern Association of Counselor Education and Supervision Biannual Conference. Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Rogers, J.L. & Crockett, J.E. (October 11-13, 2018). Ecological, Relational, and Cultural Perspectives on Miscarriage. Southern Association of Counselor Education and Supervision Biannual Conference. Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Rogers, J.L., Gilbride, D.D., & Dew, B.J. (April 26-29, 2018). An Ecological Approach to Understanding Opioid Abuse in Rural America. American Counseling Association Annual Conference. Atlanta, GA. (**IAAOC featured presentation; presentation selected for video recording and continuing education module by ACA.)
- Rogers, J.L., Luke, M.M., Gilbride, D.G., & Goodrich, K.M (October 5-8, 2017). Attachment, Use of Cognitive Distortions, and Experiences in Supervision Among Counseling Students. Association of Counselor Education and Supervision Biennial Conference. Chicago, IL.
- Crockett, J.E. & Rogers, J.L. (October 5-8, 2017). Grief, fear, hope: Addressing pregnancy loss in counselor education. Association of Counselor Education and Supervision Biennial Conference. Chicago, IL.
- University Fellow, Syracuse University, 2008-2012
- Harriet Cook Ellis Dedication to the Field of Counseling Award, Wake Forest University Department of Counseling, 2008
Short- and long-term clinical mental health counseling with clients in both primary care and university counseling center settings; brief screening and alcohol interventions with trauma patients in a hospital setting.
Professional Service (selected):
- International Association of Addictions and Offender Counselors; Treasurer (2010)
- Chi Sigma Iota, Sigma Upsilon Chapter, President-Elect (2009-2010); President (2010-2011)
Professional Licensure and Memberships:
- National Certified Counselor
- American Counseling Association
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- Chi Sigma Iota