Visiting Assistant Professor
Mailing Address: Department of Counseling, Box 7406, WFU, Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Office Phone: 336-758-2004
Location: Carswell 204A
Faculty Member at Wake Forest University since July 2021
Ph.D. in Counseling and Counselor Education, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2021
M.A. in Counseling, Clinical Mental Health Track, Wake Forest University, 2012
B.A. in Psychology, B.A. in English, Wake Forest University, 2008
Trauma; Trauma-informed care, supervision, and teaching; Community-based care; Program evaluation; Eating disorders; Eating disorder treatment; Weight stigma; Family systems; Work and family; Stress management; Mindfulness; and Resilience.
- Graduate Research Award, School of Education, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro 2021
I work with a wide variety of mental health concerns from primarily person-centered and trauma-informed frameworks, and incorporate skills from humanistic theories, DBT, relational cultural theory, and motivational interviewing. While I have worked with all ages, the majority of my experience is with young adults. I am committed to providing socially just care, especially to clients with marginalized identities, and I have a strong interest in trauma-related work. Some of the presenting concerns I have the most experience with helping clients navigate are mood disorders, anxiety-based disorders, abuse recovery, borderline personality disorder, ADHD, gender identity, grief, substance use disorders, disordered eating, and self-harm. I have worked in a wide variety of settings: hospital, residential, in-home, community agency outpatient, school-based outpatient, college counseling centers, and private practice.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor in North Carolina
- National Certified Counselor
- American Counseling Association
- American College Counseling Association
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- Chi Sigma Iota International Counseling Honor Society
- President-Elect, President, and Past President, Chi Sigma Iota, Upsilon Nu Chi Chapter
Recent Presentations (selected):
Guest Lecturer, Counseling and Educational Development Department, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Fall 2019 and Spring 2021. Instructors of Record: Patty Hickham, Dr. Chanel Rodriguez, Dr. L. DiAnne Borders, and Dr. Lindsey Umstead.
- Speaker to Spring 2021 CED 645: Mental Health Issues in Genetic Counseling on trauma-informed supervision.
- Speaker to Spring 2021 CED 757: Teaching Practicum doctoral students on designing courses using backwards design theory and research.
- Co-Speaker to Spring 2020 CED 687: Diagnosis and Treatment planning on trauma-related diagnoses.
- Speaker to Fall 2019 CED 310: Helping Skills on utilizing a Health at Every Size framework in helping relationships.
Recent Publications (selected):
- Wyche, B.E. (2021). Preparing Master’s level counselors-in-training to work with trauma. Doctoral Dissertation, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro. ProQuest.
- Murray, C.E., Lay, A., Wyche, B.E., & Johnson, C. (2020). Professionals’ perceptions of the impact of a family justice center: A four-year, cross-sectional study. Journal of Aggression, Conflict and Peace Research, 12(4), 223-238.
- Murray, C.E., Wyche, B.E., & Johnson, C. (2020). The community level impact of a Family Justice Center: Indicators from the Guilford county Family Justice Center. Journal of Aggression, Conflict, and Peace Research, 12(1), 1-20.
I love pretty much all things pop culture related – including lots of analysis of pop culture! Some of this includes reading, TV, and podcasts. I also enjoy knitting, walking, and yoga. When I can, I love to travel; both to explore new places, and to visit family & friends!
- Dr. Erin Binkley
- Dr. Robert Casares
- Dr. Tammy Cashwell
- Dr. Philip Clarke
- Dr. Jamie E. Crockett
- Dr. Nikki Elston
- Dr. Carla Emerson
- Dr. Isabel C. Farrell
- Dr. Allison Forti
- Dr. Michelle Ghoston
- Dr. Sam Gladding
- Dr. Amy L. Grybush
- Dr. Seth Hayden
- Dr. Nathaniel Ivers
- Dr. David Johnson
- Dr. Bob Nations
- Dr. Sarah Moore
- Dr. Jennifer Rogers
- Louise Schatz
- Dr. Mark Scholl
- Dr. Kenneth Simmington
- Dr. Farren Stackhouse
- Dr. Jose Villalba
- Dr. Brittany E. Wyche