Email Address: email@example.com
Mailing Address: Department of Counseling, Box 7406, WFU, Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Office Phone: 336-758-6998
Faculty member at Wake Forest University since 2011
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education, UNC-Greensboro
- Ed.S. in Counseling, UNC-Greensboro
- MS in Counseling, UNC-Greensboro
- BA in Psychology, Wake Forest University
Research and Special Interests:
- The integration of wellness and developmental theories in counseling practice and supervision, addiction, persons diagnosed with dementia and their caregivers.
- ACE (Academic and Community Engagement) Fellow, 2012-2013
- Chi Sigma Iota Outstanding Doctoral Student, April 2011
- Chi Sigma Iota Leadership Fellow, 2010
Professional Service (selected):
- Chi Sigma Iota Counselor Bookshelf Editor 2009-2011
- Chi Sigma Iota Wellness Committee Co-Chair, 2009-2011
- Memory Assessment Clinic Counseling Center, 2011-present
- Counselor at group private practice, 2005-2008
- Treatment study counselor at Duke University Medical Center Cognitive-Behavioral Research and Treatment Program, 2006-2008
- Clinical intern at Alamance Regional Medical Center Chemical Dependency Intensive Outpatient Program, 2009-2010
Professional Licensure and Memberships (selected):
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in North Carolina
- Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Member of the American Counseling Association (ACA)
Recent Publications (Selected):
- Hall, D., Wilkerson, J., Lovato, J., Sink, K., Chamberlain, D., Alli, R., Clarke, P., Rogers, S., Villalba, J., Williams, J., Shaw, E. (2014) Variables Associated with High Caregiver Stress in Patients with Mild Cognitive Impairment or Alzheimer’s Disease: Implication for Providers in a Co-Located Memory Assessment Clinic. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 36(2),145-159.
- Clarke, Philip B., Shaw, Edward G., Villalba, Jose A., Alli, Rabeena., Sink, Kaycee M. (2013) Therapeutic Interactions to Enhance the Mental Health and Wellness of Dementia Caregivers and Patients. Journal of Gerontological Nursing,39 (11),7-10.
- Clarke, P.B., & Giordano, A. (2013) The motivational supervisor: Using motivational enhancement strategies in clinical supervision. Clinical Supervisor, 32, 244-259.
- Clarke, P.B. (2013) Therapeutic interactions to enhance the mental health and wellness of dementia caregivers and patients. Journal of Gerontological Nursing. 39, 7-10.
- Clarke, P.B., Giordano, A., Cashwell, C.S., & Lewis, T.F. (2013) The straight path to healing: Using motivational interviewing to address spiritual bypass. Journal of Counseling and Development, 91, 87-94.
- Giordano, A., Clarke, P.B., & Borders, L.D. (2013) Utilizing motivational interviewing techniques to address parallel process in supervision. Counselor Education and Supervision, 52, 15-29.
- Clarke, P.B., & Myers, J.E., (2012) Developmental Counseling and Therapy: A promising intervention for relapse prevention with substance abusing clients. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 34, 308-321.
- Myers, J. E., Clarke, P. B., Brown, J. B., Champion, D. A. (2012) Wellness: Theory, research, and applications for counselors. In M. B. Scholl, A. S. McGowan, & J. T. Hansen (Eds.), Humanistic perspectives on contemporary counseling issues. Routledge.
- Cashwell, C.S., Clarke, P. B., & Graves, E.G. (2009) Step by step: Avoiding spiritual bypass in 12-step work. Journal of Addictions and Offender Counseling, 30, 37-48.
Recent presentations (selected):
- Binkley, E.E., Clarke, P.B., & Andrews, S. (October 2014) From the Stage to the Classroom–Incorporating Actors into Counselor Training. Southern Association of Counselor Education and Supervision Conference. Birmingham, AL.
- Clarke, P.B., Ivers, N., Shaw, E. (October 2014) Integrating Demetia Education into Counselor Education: The Why and the How. Southern Association of Counselor Education and Supervision conference, Birmingham, AL.
- Clarke, P. B., Giordano, A., Lewis, T., & Veach, L. (2013). Effective teaching of substance abuse counseling: Pedagogical lessons learned by counselor educators. Presented at the bi-annual Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES).
- Giordano, A., & Clarke, P. B. (2013). Demystifying the research process in the counseling field. Presented at the bi-annual Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES).
- Clarke, P. B. (February, 2013). Wellness based substance abuse counseling. Presented at the annual North Carolina Counseling Association (NCCA) conference.
- Clarke, P. B., Hall, D., Alli, R., & Villalba, J. (February, 2013). Wellness based counseling for individuals diagnosed with a chronic illness and their caregivers. Presented at the annual North Carolina Counseling Association (NCCA) conference.
- Clarke, P. B. (October, 2012). The motivational counselor: Using motivational interviewing to navigate counseling challenges. Presented at the annual Licensed Professional Counselors Association of North Carolina (LPCANC) conference.
- Clarke, P. B. (September, 2012). Supervising counselors working with caregivers of persons with dementia. Roundtable presented at the Southern Association for Counselor Educators and Supervisors (SACES) Conference. Savannah, GA.
- Giordano, A., & Clarke, P. B. (September, 2012). Experiential activities and use of multimedia in courses addressing substance abuse counseling. Presented at the Southern Association for Counselor Educators and Supervisors (SACES) Conference. Savannah, GA.
- Barden, S.M., Shannonhouse, L., Clarke, P.B., & Myers, J.M. (2012, September). The effectiveness of a wellness oriented psycho-educational support group on the holistic wellness, health locus of control and future perspectives of cancer survivors. Presented at the Southern Association for Counselor Educators and Supervisors (SACES) Conference. Savannah, GA.
- Enjoys playing and listening to all genres of music and running.