Assistant Teaching Professor
Faculty Member at Wake Forest University since July 2022
Mailing Address: Department of Counseling, Box 7406, WFU, Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office phone: 336-758-2321
Location: Carswell 224
Ph.D. in Counselor Education, Florida Atlantic University, 2016
M.S. in Mental Health Counseling, Nova Southeastern University, 2011
B.A. in Political Science & Classical Studies, University of Florida, 2005
Addiction/substance use counseling; harm reduction; recovery identity development; spirituality; couples and family counseling; counselor beliefs/attitudes about addiction; attachment.
- Stewart Distinguished Teaching Award, Palm Beach State College, 2018
I have been in my private practice since 2013, now primarily providing Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) to individuals and couples both in person and online. I also have many years of agency experience as clinical supervisor and program manager for a non-profit residential substance use disorder treatment program. I love working with people and families who have substance use concerns, providing a strengths-based, affirming, and non-judgmental approach that prioritizes harm reduction and multiple pathways to recovery.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor (LCMHC), North Carolina
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) Florida
- Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist (LMFT), Florida
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), Colorado
- Qualified Supervisor (QS), Florida – MHC Interns
- Master Certified Addiction Professional (MCAP), Florida
- Certified in Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT)
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- International Association of Addictions and Offender Counselors (IAAOC)
- International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- Editorial Board Member, The American Journal of Family Therapy, 2016 – present
- Board Member & Past President, Rebel Recovery Florida, 2017 – 2020
- Member, Behavioral Health Advisory Council, Florida Certification Board, 2017 – 2022
- Faculty Co-Chair, Palm Beach State College Institutional Review Board (IRB), 2016 – 2021
- Member, Faculty Development Committee, 2016-2019
- Faculty Developer, Bachelor of Science (BS) in Human Services program, 2017-2020
- Member, IAAOC Legislative and Advocacy Committee, 2016 – 2018
- Member, Counseling and Psychology Services Advisory Committee (CAPSAC), 2016 – 2017
- Founding Faculty Advisor, Students for Recovery Club, 2015 – 2022
Recent Presentations (selected):
- Stoupas, G. (2020). Classroom Behavior Rubrics that Enhance Feedback. Invited presentation to Palm Beach State College’s Professional Teaching and Learning Committee (PTLC), Lake Worth, FL.
- Stoupas, G., & Duff, S. (2019). The Criminal History Exemption Process for PBSC Students. Presentation at Palm Beach State College human services students. Collaboration with the Florida Dept. of Children and Families and the Florida Certification Board. Lake Worth, FL.
- Stoupas, G. (2019). Who are You: Writing Your Philosophy of Teaching. Invited presentation to the Adjunct Faculty Colloquium. Palm Beach State College, Lake Worth, FL.
- Cascio, T., Stoupas, G., & Pain, K. (2018). Students as Research Collaborators. PBSC Faculty Development Day. Lake Worth, FL.
- Stoupas, G. (2018). Opioid Overdose Prevention & Naloxone (Narcan) Training. Workshop for students, faculty, and staff at Palm Beach State College, Lake Worth, FL.
- Stoupas, G. (2018). Motivational Interviewing in College: Engaging Students in Change. Invited presentation to Palm Beach State College’s Professional Teaching and Learning Committee (PTLC), Lake Worth, FL.
- Stoupas, G., Sperry, L., Binensztok, V., & Lipp, L. (2018). Evidence-Based Practice and Case Conceptualization: Attitudes in Training. Presentation at 2018 National Convention of the American Counseling Association in Atlanta, GA.
- Stoupas, G., Cade, R., Page, K., Chasek, C., & Stare, B. (2017). Removing Stigma from Addiction: Language as Advocacy for the Counseling Profession. Webinar presented to members of the International Association for Addiction and Offender Counselors (IAAOC).
Recent Publications (selected):
- Chasek, C., Nelson, J. A., Cade, R., Page, K., Stare, B., & Stoupas, G. (2020). Advocating for adolescent substance use recovery: An alternative model. International Journal of Psychology: Biopsychosocial Approach, 23(1).
- Stoupas, G., & Ocean, M. (2020). LGB addiction recovery and community membership. In C. Boyd & J. Whitman (Eds.). The therapist’s notebook for sexual and gender identity diverse clients. Routledge.
- Ocean, M., & Stoupas, G. (2020). Exploring the concept of honesty with transgender clients in recovery from addiction. In C. Boyd & J. Whitman (Eds.). The therapist’s notebook for sexual and gender identity diverse clients. Routledge.
- Stoupas, G. (2019). The borderline couple. In L. Sperry, K. Helm., & J. Carlson (Eds.). The disordered couple (2nd ed.). Routledge.
- Stoupas, G., Binensztok, V., & Sperry, L. (2018). Spiritually based integrative case conceptualization. In C. S. Gill & R. Freund (Eds.) The intersection of spirituality and religion in counseling. Routledge.
- Sperry, L., & Stoupas, G. (2018). Spiritual practices and interventions in recovery from addictions: Implementing focused treatment and growth strategies in psychotherapy. In T. Plante (Ed.). Healing with spiritual practices: Proven techniques for disorders. ABC-CLIO.
- Sperry, L., & Stoupas, G. (2017). Incorporating mindfulness in secular and spiritually oriented psychotherapy: Ethical concerns. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 4(2), 152-15.
- Stoupas, G., & Sperry, L. (2015). In L. Sperry (Ed.) Mental Health and Mental Disorders: An encyclopedia of conditions, treatments, and well-being. ABC-CLIO. Multiple Entries.
When not counseling, teaching, or writing, I spend time with my family exploring the woods, catching bugs, native plant gardening, and making our home comfy. I also enjoy portrait painting, running (slowly), and all things Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (I’m a Donatello).
- Dr. Erin Binkley
- Dr. Robert Casares
- Dr. Tammy Cashwell
- Dr. Philip Clarke
- Dr. Jamie E. Crockett
- Dr. Nikki Elston
- Dr. Carla Emerson
- Dr. Isabel C. Farrell
- Dr. Allison Forti
- Dr. Michelle Ghoston
- Dr. Jasmine Graham
- Dr. Amy L. Grybush
- Dr. Seth Hayden
- Dr. Nathaniel Ivers
- Dr. David Johnson
- Dr. Bob Nations
- Dr. Sarah Moore
- Dr. Jennifer Rogers
- Louise Schatz
- Dr. Mark Scholl
- Dr. Kenneth Simington
- Dr. George Stoupas
- Dr. Jose Villalba
- Dr. Brittany E. Wyche