Clinical Program Manager
Department of Counseling, Box 7406, WFU, Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Faculty member at Wake Forest University since July 2012
- Ph.D. in Counseling and Counselor Education, UNC-Greensboro, 2010
- Ed.S in School Counseling, UNC-Greensboro, 2006
- M.S. in Community Counseling, UNC-Greensboro, 2006
- B.S. in Psychology, Guilford College, 2000
Research and Special Interests:
- Counselor professional identity development; public perceptions of the Counseling profession; integrative behavioral health
- Outstanding Doctoral Level Student Award, 2008
- Doctoral Cohort Award, 2008
- Chapter Outstanding Entry Level Student Award, 2005
- Marian Pope Franklin Award, UNCG, 2005
- Clinical mental health counseling with adolescents and their families in residential treatment and inpatient psychiatric settings; school counselor at a rural elementary school.
Professional Licensure and Memberships (selected):
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed School Counselor
- Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Approved Clinical Supervisor (ACS)
- American Counseling Association
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- American School Counselor Association
- Chi Sigma Iota
Recent Presentations (selected):
- Rogers, J.L., Binkley, E., Warden, S. P., Cashwell, T. H., Emerson, C. H., & Forti, A. (2016, February). Rethinking clinical supervision: A fresh look at common challenges. All-day pre-conference training at the North Carolina Counseling Association’s annual conference. Greensboro, NC.
- Warden, S. P., Emerson, C. H., & Rogers, J. L. (2015, February). Enhancing your vision for site supervision. 50-minute presentation at the North Carolina Counsleing Association’s annual conference. Greensboro, NC.
- Emerson, C., Robinson, H. (October 2014) Enhancing Professional Identity: Service Learning as a Catalyst for Professional Orientation. Southern Association of Counselor Education and Supervision conference, Birmingham, Alabama.
- Rogers, J.L., Cashwell, T., Emerson, C., Forti, A., Warden, S. (October 2014) Leaning In Without Losing Balance. Southern Association of Counselor Education and Supervision conferrence, Birmingham, AL.
- Emerson, C. H., (2011, October). Research instrument construction and validation. ACES Conference, Nashville, Tennessee.
- Emerson, C. H., & Paredes, M. B. (2010, October). Construction and validation of research instruments. SACES Conference, Williamsburg, Virginia.
- Emerson, C. H. (2009, October). Counselor professional identity: Defining and measuring a nebulous concept. ACES Conference, San Diego, California.
- Emerson, C. H., & Hall-Renn, K. E. (2008, October). Voices of professional identity. SACES Conference, Houston, Texas.
- MacDonald, C., Emerson, C. H., Wester, K. L., & Hall-Renn, K. E. (2007, March). The development of professional identity among entry-level students: A longitudinal pilot study. ACA Conference, Detroit, Michigan.
- Hall-Renn, K. E., & Emerson, C. H. (2006, September). Identity crisis: Is professional identity being cultivated in counselors in training? SACES Conference, Orlando, Florida.
- Wester, K. L., Hall, K. E., Emerson, C. H., Seaman, M., & Weaver, E. (2005, October). Professional identity of counselor trainees. ACES Conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Hall, K. E., Emerson, C. H., & Wester, K. L. (2005, April). Incoming students’ perceptions of professional counseling: Who are we and why are we here? ACA Conference, Atlanta, Georgia.
- I am originally from Kentucky but have called the Piedmont area of North Carolina my home since 1996. I enjoy reading, walking, hiking, going to the movies, and spending time with Brian (my wonderful husband) and Oscar (our wonderful dog). And we are excited to welcome our first child, a little girl, in Fall 2013.
- Dr. Erin Binkley
- Dr. Robert Casares
- Dr. Tammy Cashwell
- Dr. Philip Clarke
- Dr. Jamie E. Crockett
- Dr. Nikki Elston
- Dr. Carla Emerson
- Dr. Isabel C. Farrell
- Dr. Allison Forti
- Dr. Michelle Ghoston
- Dr. Sam Gladding
- Dr. Jeremy Goshorn
- Dr. Amy L. Grybush
- Dr. Seth Hayden
- Dr. Nathaniel Ivers
- Dr. David Johnson
- Dr. Bob Nations
- Dr. Michelle D. Mitchell
- Dr. Debbie Newsome
- Dr. Jennifer Rogers
- Louise Schatz
- Dr. Mark Scholl
- Dr. Jose Villalba