Assistant Teaching Professor
Mailing Address: Department of Counseling, Box 7406, WFU, Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office phone: 336-758-2458
Location: Carswell 235
Faculty Member at Wake Forest University since July 2018
Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Practice, Georgia State University, 2018
M.S. in College Student Development, St. Cloud State University, 2003
B.S.B.A. in Marketing, University of West Florida, 2000
Counseling student development and skill preparation, suicide intervention training, college student development.
Outstanding Service to Chapter, Chi Sigma Iota – International Award, 2018
Provost’s Dissertation Fellowship, Georgia State University, 2018
Dean’s Excellence Award in Counselor Education & Practice, in Memory of Mary Jane Phillips, 2017
Outstanding Chapter Award – Large Chapter, Chi-Epsilon, Chi Sigma Iota International, 2016-2017
I have experience working in institutions of higher education and community agencies. In the university setting I have counseled undergraduate and graduate students dealing with myriad issues. As a counselor in a community agency I have worked with individuals dealing with chronic health issues, homelessness, gender identity issues, and substance use disorders.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Licensed Professional Counselor in Georgia (#010423)
- Nationally Certified Counselor (#632591)
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) Trainer (#37520)
- Chi Sigma Iota (CSI)
- Association for Counselor Education & Supervision (ACES)
- Southern Association for Counselor Education Supervision (SACES)
- American Association for Suicidology (AAS)
- Association for Assessment and Research in Counseling (AARC)
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Association for Specialists in Group Work (ASGW)
- Committee Member, Awards Committee, Chi Sigma Iota International Honor Society
Recent Presentations (selected):
- Elston, N., Gilbride, D., & Shannonhouse, L. (2018, October). Supervisors, are your supervisees ready to intervene with clients at risk of suicide. Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Rumsey, A., Elston, N., Moh, Y. (2018, October). The do’s and dont’s of collaboration: Lessons learned as doc students and new professionals. Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Shannonhouse, L., Elston, N., Mize, M.C., & Rumsey, A. (2018, October). Using standardized role-play to evaluate counselor trainee suicide intervention skill acquisition. Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Elston, N., Rumsey, A., Mize, M.C., & Grad, R. (2018, September). Evaluating self-reported counseling skills used during the first fieldwork experience. Association for Assessment and Research in Counseling, Richmond, VA.
- Shannonhouse, L., Elston, N., Mize, M.C., & Rumsey, A. (2018, September). Evaluating suicide intervention skills acquisition through behavioral observations: A quasi-experimental study. Association for Assessment and Research in Counseling, Richmond, VA.
- Grad, R. & Elston, N. (2018, February). Self-care in the counseling profession: The benefit of connecting with others. Association for Specialists in Group Work, National Conference, Savannah, GA.
Recent Publications (selected):
- Elston, N., Rogers, J.L., Gilbride, D.D., & Shannonhouse, L. (2019). Counselors in training identifying and responding to suicidal clients: A matched-control study. Journal of Counselor Leadership and Advocacy. Advance online publication.
- Shannonhouse, L., Rumsey, A.D., Elston, N., Mize, M.C., Hightower, J., & Lin, Y-W. (2019). Analysis of a standardized suicide intervention training for counselor trainees. Teaching and Supervision in Counseling, 1(2).
- Shannonhouse, L., Elston, N., Lin, Y-W., Mize, M.C., Rumsey, A., Rice, R., Wanna, R., Porter, M. (2018). Suicide intervention training for counselor-trainees: A quasi-experimental study on skill retention. Counselor Education and Supervision, 57(3), 194-210.
- Rumsey, A.D., Golubovic, N., Elston, N., Chang, C., Dixon, A., & Guvansel, K. (2017). Addressing the social and emotional needs of refugee adolescents in schools: Learning from the experiences of school counselors. Journal of Child and Adolescent Counseling, 4(1), 81-100.
- Elston, N., Rumsey, A.D., Shannonhouse, L., & Mize, M.C. (in preparation) Suicide intervention training for counselor trainees: A content analysis study.
- Shannonhouse, L., Elston, N., Rumsey, A.D., Mize, M.C., & Lin, Y. D. (in preparation). Suicide training in counselor preparation: Behavioral observations of counselor trainees’ suicide intervention skills.
I love spending time outside, nature is my happy place. My current exercise craze is spinning, several years ago it was marathons and triathlons. Endurance sports are my jam. If I’m not outside you can find me baking something that’s high in calories and made of butter and chocolate.
- Dr. Erin Binkley
- Dr. Robert Casares
- Dr. Tammy Cashwell
- Dr. Philip Clarke
- Dr. Jamie E. Crockett
- Dr. Nikki Elston
- Dr. Carla Emerson
- Dr. Isabel C. Farrell
- Dr. Allison Forti
- Dr. Michelle Ghoston
- Dr. Sam Gladding
- Dr. Jeremy Goshorn
- Dr. Amy L. Grybush
- Dr. Seth Hayden
- Dr. Nathaniel Ivers
- Dr. David Johnson
- Dr. Bob Nations
- Dr. Michelle D. Mitchell
- Dr. Sarah Moore
- Dr. Debbie Newsome
- Dr. Jennifer Rogers
- Louise Schatz
- Dr. Mark Scholl
- Dr. Jose Villalba