Associate Teaching Professor/School Counseling Program Coordinator
Faculty member at Wake Forest University since 2013
Email Address: email@example.com
Mailing Address: Department of Counseling, Box 7406, WFU, Winston-Salem, NC 27109
- PhD in Counselor Education, Mississippi State University
- MS in School Counseling, Mississippi State University
- BS in Health Education, Appalachian State University
Research and Special Interests:
- Mindfulness, animal-assisted therapy, trauma, the spiritual feminine, the environment of academia.
- June Comola Scholarship (Mississippi Counseling Association)
- Chi Sigma Iota
- ACA Best Practices Award
- Private practice (currently)
- Professional School Counselor for Sudduth Elementary and Reagan High School
- Child & Adolescent Mental Health Counselor for Daymark Recovery Services
- Counselor for college students, adults, adolescents, children, couples, and families at the Mississippi State Counseling Lab
Professional Licensure and Memberships (selected):
- Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor (LCMHC) in North Carolina
- Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC)
- NC Professional Educator’s License
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- American School Counselor Association (ASCA)
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES)
- North Carolina Counselor’s Association (NCCA)
Recent Publications (Selected):
- Crockett, J. E., Gill, D. L., Cashwell, T. H., & Myers, J. E. (2017). Integrating non-technological and technological peripheral biofeedback in counseling. Journal of Mental Health Counseling. 39, 163-179.
- Cashwell, T. H. (2016). Yoga. In R. D. Foster & J. M. Holden (Ed.), Connecting soul, spirit,mind, and body: A collection of spiritual and religious practices in counseling (pp. 155-160).
- Giordano, A. L., Clarke, P. B., Fulton, C. L., & Cashwell, T. H. (2016). Emerging approaches. In J. S. Young and C. S. Cashwell (Eds.), Clinical mental health counseling: Elements of effective practice. Pearson.
- Cashwell, C. S., & Cashwell, T. H. (2015) Disputing unhealthy beliefs or imposing values: Spirituality in counseling. In B. Herlihy and G. Corey (Eds), ACA Ethical Standards Casebook (7th ed.). American Counseling Association.
- Cashwell, T. H. (2014). Play Therapy (A requested stand-alone chapter for Pearson Publishers sold as a book on Amazon).
- Cashwell, C. S., Shcherbakova, J., & Cashwell, T. H. (2003) Effect of client and counselor ethnicity on preference for counselor disclosure. Journal of Counseling and Development, 81, 196-201.
- Cashwell, T. H. & Skinner, C. H., & Smith E. S. (2001). Increasing second-grade students’ reports of peers’ prosocial behaviors via direct instruction, group reinforcement, and progress feedback: A replication and extension. Education and Treatment of Children, 24, 161-176.
- Cashwell, T. H., & Dooley, K. (2001). The impact of supervision on counselor self-efficacy. The Clinical Supervisor, 20, 39-47.
Recent presentations (selected):
- Cashwell, T. H., & Forti, A. (2019, October). Helping students recognize and work with highly sensitive people in a highly insensitive world. Roundtable discussions at the bi-annual conference of the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Seattle, WA.
- Cashwell, T. H., Forti, A., & Elston, N. (2019, February). Highly sensitive people in a highly insensitive world. North Carolina Counseling Association, Durham, NC.
- Forti, A., Cashwell, T. H., & Carter, C. (2018, October). Wait, I’m not perfect?: Applying self-compassion training to improve student outcomes. Poster session at the bi-annual conference of the Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Cashwell, T. H. (2017, February). Wellness: Going beyond lip service. North Carolina Counseling Association, Durham, NC.
- Tangen, J., Borders, D., Foreman, T., & Cashwell, T. H. (2017, October). Stages of motherhood. Panel discussion at the bi-annual conference of the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Chicago, IL.
- Rogers, J. L., Binkley, E. E., Warden, S. P., Cashwell, T. H., Emerson, C. H., & Forti, A. (2016, February). Rethinking clinical supervision: A fresh look at common challenges. All-day pre-conference training at the North Carolina Counseling Association’s annual conference. Greensboro, NC.
- Rogers, J. L., Cashwell, T. H., Emerson, C., Forti, A., & Warden, S. (October 2014) Leaning In Without Losing Balance. Southern Association of Counselor Education and Supervision conference, Birmingham, AL.
- Cashwell, T. H. (2012, November). Creating a cooperative classroom environment. Invited 1 day training for The Piedmont Triad Education Consortium, Greensboro, N.C.
- Cashwell, C. S., & Cashwell, T. H. (2012, October). Mindfulness and acceptance in depression. Licensed Professional Counselors Association of North Carolina, Greensboro, NC.
- Cashwell, C. S., & Cashwell, T. H. (2003, February) Integrating spirituality into the counseling process. Invited 7 hour training for “Big Easy” series at the University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA.
- Cashwell, T. H., Cashwell, C. S., & Gibbons, M. (2002, March). Introduction to functional assessment. Presentation at the annual conference, American Counseling Association, New Orleans, LA.
Enjoy spending time with family and friends. Love music, reading, animals, and being outdoors – especially hiking with my dog, Tucker.
- Dr. Erin Binkley
- Dr. Robert Casares
- Dr. Tammy Cashwell
- Dr. Philip Clarke
- Dr. Jamie E. Crockett
- Dr. Nikki Elston
- Dr. Carla Emerson
- Dr. Isabel C. Farrell
- Dr. Allison Forti
- Dr. Michelle Ghoston
- Dr. Jasmine Graham
- Dr. Amy L. Grybush
- Dr. Seth Hayden
- Dr. Nathaniel Ivers
- Dr. David Johnson
- Dr. Bob Nations
- Dr. Sarah Moore
- Dr. Jennifer Rogers
- Louise Schatz
- Dr. Mark Scholl
- Dr. Kenneth Simington
- Dr. George Stoupas
- Dr. Jose Villalba
- Dr. Brittany E. Wyche